Ancestry Webb, Walsh, Hill, Warwick

Web site created by David Webb with support from my sisters Anne, Geraldine and Julia.

Grandma Hills two full brothers.

Lieutenant  Thomas Henry Warwick Born 4th August 1892 Islington London

Died 28th April 1917 WW1 France.

Acting Captain or Major Douglas Charles Warwick born 1894 Islington, London Died 20th January 1919 WW1 France


First record we have is Thomas Henry Warwick, his birth and baptism record, Parish of St Andrews, Islington, the baptism record shows a birth date of 9th October, 1892 with a baptism date of October 30th. Place of abode is 14, Upper Park Street, his fathers trade or profession is down as an Iron Founder.

Click here to see the baptism record.


Next we come across Douglas Charles Warwick, no exact birth date on the baptism record, just the date of the baptism, 26th May 1894. They are still living at the same address but the church is different, St. Clement what looks like Barnsbury, Middlesex.  

Click here to see the baptism record.


Next time we find them is in the 1901 Census, they are living alongside their sister Grandma Hill aged 10 years, Thomas 8 and Douglas 7, with their grandmother Hannah Douglas Warwick an uncle, Septimus Warwick. They have a family named Few living with them, Ellen Few is down as a General Domestic.

Hannah is down as a lodging house keeper and her son Septimus as “Clerk, Architects”.


By 1911 they are living with other members of the family an uncle Matthew Smith his wife Emma, besides another lodger there is also a Florence Mary Lewen down as an artist and actress which considering Grandma Hills interest in that area is of some note. Thomas on the census is down as a Patternmaker and Douglas a clerk.


First in France in 1917 Thomas dies, he goes to probate click here for probate record his money goes to his brother Douglas, he leaves him just under £200. Thomas is recorded as T H Warwick, Lieutenant, Cemetery Memorial name

* Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery Souchez.  


Then in 1919 Douglas dies also in France, there are a couple of things that are hard to nail down, some records show him as an acting Major, some as an acting Captain, at various points in the first world war people were made up during various battles but he like his elder brother was certainly a ranking officer. The overall evidence would suggest though he was an acting Major at the time of his death.

He is recorded in the :

** Denain Communal Cemetery in France.

When Douglas dies according to probate he leaves his wealth to the younger of his two half brothers, William click here for the probate record, guess not that unusual though he did have his full sister Grandma Hill back home, she was of course married by then.


In some ways it appears odd they both joined the North Staffs regiment, family were originally from Newcastle area, they live in London and of course between the outbreak of war and 1914 Thomas was a lieutenant, Douglas made it to Captain or Major both in the North Staffs regiment. There are at least two records of his death recording his rank differently.



* Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery

Location Information


Souchez is a village 3.5 kilometres north of Arras on the main road to Bethune. The cemetery is about 1.5 kilometres south of the village on the west side of the D937 Arras-Bethune Road.


Historical Information


Caberet Rouge was a small, red-bricked, red-tiled café that stood close to this site in the early days of the First World War. The café was destroyed by shellfire in March 1915 but it gave its unusual name to this sector and to a communication trench that led troops up the front-line. Commonwealth soldiers began burying their fallen comrades here in March 1916. The cemetery was used mostly by the 47th (London) Division and the Canadian Corps until August 1917 and by different fighting units until September 1918. It was greatly enlarged in the years after the war when as many as 7,000 graves were concentrated here from over 100 other cemeteries in the area. For much of the twentieth century, Cabaret Rouge served as one of a small number of ‘open cemeteries’ at which the remains of fallen servicemen newly discovered in the region were buried. Today the cemetery contains over 7,650 burials of the First World War, over half of which remain unidentified.



** Denain was a German hospital centre during the greater part of the War; and from the 1st November, 1918, to the 12th March, 1919, the 33rd Casualty Clearing Station was posted in the town.


The Communal Cemetery, was used by the Germans to bury their soldiers and (in 1917 and 1918) 153 British prisoners. A British plot was made at the South-East end, after the capture of the town; and after the Armistice the graves of the prisoners and other British graves were regrouped beside it.


There are now over 300, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over ten are unidentified and special memorials are erected to four United Kingdom and three Canadian soldiers, buried in the German plots, whose graves could not be found.


The British plot covers an area of 777 square metres.